Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Pamamanhikan in Roxas City

October 30, Sunday
Roxas City, Capiz

It's like a game of poker: you're never sure what cards are at hand. But everything went smoothly, and it was quite an experience for both our families. ^_^

Image hosted by Photobucket.comRoxas City is about an hour and a half away from Batan. We got there in time for lunch. After some introductions, welcomes, and niceties, we carried the affair to the dining area. Joan's parents also prepared a little feast for us, so it's food galore. Yum!

I was told to bring an elderly relative so there will be someone to keep the conversations going with Joan's parents. No need. I was confident my brother and godbrother, both accomplished businessmen, wouldn't run out of things to talk about with Joan's father, while our mothers are both teachers.

And true enough, the conversations about business would have gone on and on had the group not decided to change the topic and finally get down to discussing our wedding plans. (Hey, don't let us spoil the fun. Haha!)

Our opening spiel was brief and straightforward, getting over with the date, church, and venue as quickly as possible.

It went unchallenged, to my surprise. I was somehow expecting to hear objections with the venue (ESPECIALLY the venue), as local traditions would prescribe that we be married at the lady's hometown.

The church got some comments here and there about being a cemetery, but the concern was immediately addressed with a promise to cover the word "cemetery" at the Paco Park's entrance with a banner or something. As to the reception venue, the only concern raised was the traffic condition.

I felt a little chill when the folks started discussing the costs and budget. Thank goodness my brother seemed to have forgotten what he told me when he got drunk at the ship, and didn't challenge me as he had promised. Also, I was grateful my godbrother was there to help us explain our choice of suppliers with his own wedding experience.

The entourage, principal sponsors, souvenirs, and gown designs ate up most of the afternoon. Our folks shared suggestions here and there, and Joan and I agree that they've been really open-minded about the whole thing.

By 4pm, we were relieved to have settled most of the items we were unsure of. By 5pm, it was back to non-wedding-related kwentuhan (and more kainan). We left Roxas City at around 6pm.

All in all it was a memorable meeting of families. I wish my sister, my father, and Joan's brother were there, the picture would have been complete. But just the same, it was a first for us all. ^_^

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
[l-r: Bimboy (Leo's godbrother), Kuya Larry, and Fr. Glen B.]

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
[l-r: Tatay Jack, Joan's cousins Belen and Malba, and Nanay Rose]

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

[l-r: Joan, Tatay Jack, Nanay Rose, Leo, Mommy Vi, and Kuya Larry]

No comments: